Wednesday, June 13, 2012

A Different Direction

בס''ד

Since the early 1970’s, I have been working and teaching young children. When we made Aliyah in 1994, I continued for several years to work with children in a moan [day care]. Today, I feel I am burnt out.
 
Twelve years ago, we moved to Modi’in. There was a new language school that had just opened, offering a course for native speakers on how to teach English as a second language to Israeli children. The one requirement other than being a native speaker was that you have five years previous experience teaching or working with children. I had many more years than five.

After completing the course and working for the school for six months [their requirement, as they offered an after school English chug for children], I decided that I needed to be my own boss and set my work hours and days. I advertised English lessons from my home and when I got my first student I was just thrilled.
 
Over the years I have been teaching and tutoring English as a second language and have designed an enrichment program for native English speaker so that they would not loose their language and reading skills. Each of my students has a personal program that suits their needs.

The last few months have been a real drag and the fun is over. It is time for me to take a break and try a different direction. I believe that a good teacher has to know when she is not doing a good job.
 
I have always admired handmade jewelry. The other day, a dear friend sent me a beautiful handmade necklace. She has become my mentor. I tried my hand once and made a necklace that looks like a five year old made it.  But I am creative and have made beautiful wall hangings that I have hanging in our home.

I am going to take a professional jewelry course given by a very talented lady who comes highly recommended. She will teach me the art of using stones and beads. I’m excited and hope I will be successful.  When I make some nice pieces, I will post them on a blog. 
 
Until next time…feel free to comment and share.
Miriam  

7 comments:

  1. Feel free to "practice" on my girls!!! (Lol)
    But seriously,Kol Hakavod.Again you are couragous and trying something new.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your postings Miriam!

    Drora Bat Melech

    ReplyDelete
  3. Be'hatzlacha! I'm sure you'll make beautiful things as you have an eye for color and style! And, it is SO important to work at something you enjoy.

    Esther

    ReplyDelete
  4. Miriam, whatever you set your mind to will become a realty. Remember to
    look around you for inspiration everywhere in Hashem's beautiful world.

    I am thrilled that I was used to give you the desire to start making jewelry. Best of Luck and best wishes.
    Fayge

    ReplyDelete
  5. Miriam, good luck. I'm a firm believer in reinventing. I just can't understand how people do the same thing year after year after year etc. No doubt the "new you" will add a different beauty to the world.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you, I'm really proud of you that your going to take that course
    Have fun and good luck!

    love you
    Naomi

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog.